A Simple Holiday Black IPA

Today I am brewing a 1-gallon stove top beer. This grain bill is adapted from the first beer I brewed. It is:

2 1/4 lbs US 2-Row Barley (the base malt)
1/2 lb Crystal 40 (for sweetness and a little caramel)
2 ounces Carafa III (coffee and dark chocolate notes)

The hops will be 100% Cascade for a big pine note. Hop burst method, late hopped.

I doughed in at 109 degrees, then raised the temp to 149 degrees for a 30 minute rest. Next a 30 minute rest at 158 and finally to 170 where I will recirculate the wort through the grain before I start my boil.

My twist for this batch will be the use of San Diego Super Yeast and Belgian Style Dark Strong Yeast. I'm going to pitch both and the result I hope is a hint of dark fruit. The Belgian Style Dark Strong beer I brewed is brimming with dark fruit, this I want to be mainly pine.



No comments:

Post a Comment