Rosemary Scotch Ale

I begin by saying I will never brew this beer again, regardless of the result of this batch. The peat smoked malt gave me a headache the entire brew. The rosemary was equally strong. Each time I brew a complicated beer I realize how much I appreciate simplicity. 

Grain:
2-1/4 lbs Malting Company of Ireland Stout Malt
1/3 lb Peat Smoked Malt
1/3 lb Melanoiden Malt
1/3 lb Caramel 60
1 oz. Carapils
Small handful of Roasted Barley

Hops/Herbs
2 sprigs of Rosemary
1/2 oz East Kent Goldings
Irish Moss

Yeast:
US-04 English Ale

And in the name of simplicity, look for the next batch to be elementary school simple, a fantastic base malt, a single small specialty malt addition, one variety of hop (a long used variety) and a simple yeast which does it's job by getting out of the way.

It will look like this:

Grain:
Warminster Floor Malted Maris Otter
Simpson's Dark Crystal

Hops/Herbs:
East Kent Goldings
Irish Moss

Yeast:
West Yorkshire Ale Yeast or US-04 English Ale

Regardless, here are pics from today's brew session








No comments:

Post a Comment